Seattle Modern Quilt Guild has been invited to be the featured guild at the Fidalgo Island Quilters 2016 Quilt Show. The show will take place 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Friday, April 15th and Saturday, April 16th, at the Swinomish Casino.
FIQ is reserving space for us to show 10-12 full size quilts, though we can fill the space as we see fit. Because we hope to show the work of many SeaMQG members, we encourage you to consider submitting smaller or mini quilts.
As space is limited, we will be curating a collection of work to represent the guild. What are we looking for? Basically, we want you to submit your best, most modern work.
Not quite sure what that entails? As defined by the Modern Quilt Guild, modern quilts typically exhibit:
- Use of bold colors and prints
- High contrast and graphic areas of solid color
- Improvisational piecing
- Expansive negative space
- Alternate grid work
- Modern traditionalism
FIQ uses the following definitions for their modern, contemporary, and improvisational category:
- [Modern] Quilts that are asymmetrical, focus on negative space, use mostly straight or geometric quilt stitching, favor solid fabrics, use traditional block patterns that have been enlarged or exaggerated, without borders.
- [Contemporary] Quilts that are usually symmetrical, use mostly straight or geometric quilt stitching, favor modern fabrics in contemporary colors and combinations, use traditional block patterns that have been enlarged or exaggerated, with or without borders.
- [Improvisational] Quilts that have no planned pattern, they are made, invented or arranged offhand; fabricated out of what is conveniently on hand. Solid and printed fabrics are both found in this type of quilt, often in unusual combinations.
Now, on to the details and expectations for submitting a modern quilt of your own for this exhibit:
- Quilts do not need to be made specifically for this show.
- You may submit more than one quilt for consideration.
- Quilts should not be larger than full size. Submitting smaller and mini quilts is welcome and encouraged!
- Quilts must be labeled with the quilt name, quilt maker’s name & phone number, quilter’s name (if applicable), and quilt finish date (can be m/d/y, m/y, or year only).
- Quilts 30″ or wider must have a securely attached 4” hanging sleeve (Jacquie Gering’s excellent tutorial shows you how).
- Submit your quilt in a bag labeled with your name and email address or phone number.
- Entrant must be a current member of the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild as of January 30, 2016.
- Quilts must be entered online using the form below by January 29, 2016 at 11:59pm Pacific time.
- Quilts are due at the March 9, 2016 SeaMQG meeting.
- Quilts will be returned at the May 11, 2016 SeaMQG meeting.
Participants will be emailed with the status of their submissions by Sunday, January 31, 2016.
If your work is selected, your name will be printed in the show program, along with a brief biography and details about your quilt, as provided by you on the entry form.
Ready to submit your work? Enter it using the link posted in the Seattle MQG Group within the Modern Quilt Guild (login required).
UPDATE ON HANGING SLEEVE SIZING: Due to an upgrade in the way FIQ is hanging quilts at the up coming quilt show, please note that size for sleeves has changed and now **all quilts that are over 30″ wide will need a 4″ hanging sleeve.
Thanks Kae; this has been corrected in the post.
Pingback: March 2016 Meeting Reminder | seattle modern quilt guild·