Attendance: 69 members and 2 Visitors
Call to order – Matt
Approval of January Meeting Minutes
Block of the Month – Stefanie
- Stephanie (@satterwhitequilts) is running this year’s BOM, called “Begonia”
- It is a mystery quilt based on half square triangle blocks
- See the blog post for information on the January – March blocks for this quilt
- Tag your progress #Begoniaquilt #SEAMQG #Showusyourmqg
2019 Membership Renewals
- All renewals are to be paid online for 2019 and must be paid by February 28, 2019
- There is a link for payment on the membership page of the blog
- 2019 dues are $57 ($55 +$2PayPal Fee)
- Membership cards can now be printed. Here are the instructions:
- Direct link: https://mqg.memberclicks.net/membership-card
- Sign into Modern Quilt Guild
- Click on “My Resources”
- Click on “Membership Card”
- Print the page
- Currently the guild has 135 members with 11 new members.
- We are looking for members to act as buddies to new members. This entails sitting with them at the meeting, introducing to others, answering questions, etc.
- Instructions for the next giving quilt will be posted on the blog
- The quilt is “Side Stripe” by Renee Tallman of the South Bay Area MQG
Name Tag Swap
- Due to the cancellation of the February meeting, the guild name tag swap is postponed to the April meeting. Details can be found HERE
Krista Hennebury Workshops
- Workshop registration is open on the blog. There is still room in both. Consider registering if you haven’t already. Receipts from workshops such as this help to fund future workshops.
- Two workshops will be offered: Courthouse Color Play April 6 at the Greenwood Senior Center, and Speed Date with Improv April 7 at Quilting Mayhem in Snohomish. Check the calendar for times
- Registration will open to non-members on Wednesday, March 21
New MQG Website
- go to member log on at Themodernquiltguild.com
- Join the Seattle MQG Circle! This is where meeting minutes will be posted
- Check out the monthly content the MQG puts out – Block Study, Quilt of the Month, Webinars, Articles
- Find episodes of Fresh Quilting
- Upload photos to the Seattle MQG Circle Albums for guild events and quilts for use on the guild facebook and instagram pages
- Take the Leap: Facing Your Fears of Improv with Cheryl Arkison March 14th 6pm PST
- Saturday, March 23rd @ Quiltworks NW 10:30am – 5pm
- This is the second-to-last sew-in at Quiltworks before they close for good
- The guild is looking for more locations for sew-ins that have larger space and parking – if you have suggestions, please email email@example.com
- MQG Sew Day – March 17th all time zones, third Sunday of each month. #mqgsewday
- Modern Quilt Masters with Jacquie Gering will be held October 28 – November 1, 2019 in Kansas City. Registration opens March 14 at 7am PST.
- The MQG has posted new community guidelines regarding diversity and inclusion. Find them posted on the MQG website.
Other Local Happenings
Other Local Happenings
- Whatcom Museum: Modern Quilts: Designs of a New Century from June 1 – August 19, 2019, Lightcatcher Building
- Pacific Northwest Quilt & Fiber Arts Museum:
Unbound by Art Cloth Network January 9 – March 24, 2019
Tharpe Family Collection – Civil War Era quilts – January 30 – April 28, 2019
Paper and Ink – an art book exhibit March 6-25th, 2019
La Conner In Bloom annual challenge “Garden Visitors” March 27-May 5, 2019
- Everett Quilt Show:
April 25-27, 2019 at the Edward D. Hansen Convention Center
There is a modern category and judged and non-judged categories; entries open in February
There are classes and the keynote is by Katie Pedersen and Ted Hoffman
For more information on the show: https://www.everettquiltshow.com/
For more information on entering a quilt: https://www.everettquiltshow.com/enterquilts
For more information on classes: https://www.everettquiltshow.com/classes
- Stars in Her Crown Quilt-along:
Open quilt along with an interesting story that anyone can join. More information here
- Sisterhood Quilt Swap:
Deadline to Register: March 15, 2019; Shipping Deadline: April 29, 2019
$7.70 for PDF Pattern
- With the closure of so many of our local quilt/fabric shops, we’ve put together a list of those remaining. Please consider them when you are looking to buy fabric.
- Island Quilter (Vashon)
- Esther’s Fabrics (Bainbridge)
- Quilted Strait (Port Gamble)
- Running Stitch Fabrics (Kent)
- Bigfoot Quilts (Auburn)
- Undercover Quilts (1st and Virginia, Seattle)
- Stitches (fabric and craft store; Capitol Hill – Seattle)
- Drygoods Design (Pioneer Square – Seattle)
- Quilting Mayhem (Snohomish)
- Gathering Fabric (Woodinville)
- Pacific Fabrics (Northgate, SoDo, Bellevue)
Sew and Tell
- Guild members shared quilts and finished projects. Watch Facebook and Instagram for photos.
- The meeting wrapped up with our annual scrap swap.
- Next meeting Wednesday April 10th, 2019 @ 7:00pm.
Correction to minutes Pacific Fabrics (Northgate, SoDo, Bellevue) should read, Pacific Fabrics (Bremerton, SoDo, Bellevue). Northgate is also closing there doors in June.