The meeting was held August 14, 2019 at 7pm.
The meeting opened with demonstrations of various quilting skills. Thank you to those who shared their skills. Topics covered were:
- Hand quilting with LeeAnn Decker
- Faced binding with David Owen Hastings
- Squaring techniques to get your quilt ready for binding with Matt Macomber
- Prairie points as an edge finish with Rachel Singh
Call to order – Matt
Block of the Month – Stefanie
- Stephanie (@satterwhitequilts) is running this year’s BOM, called “Begonia”
- It is a mystery quilt based on half square triangle blocks
- See the blog for information on the January – August blocks for this quilt
- Tag your progress #Begoniaquilt #SEAMQG #Showusyourmqg
2020 Block of the Month
- Are you interested in designing our next BOM?
- Do you have a design idea but don’t know where to start with writing instructions?
- Maybe you have a suggestion for a type of project of technique you’d like to be considered for next year?
Talk to Matt or anyone else on the board. You can also send an email or dm 🙂
- If you decide to join the guild today, membership dues are $29.50 as you’re joining halfway through the year
- Updated membership directory available soon
Make an item for a randomly assigned guild-mate. Sign up by August 28 and swap at the October 9 meeting. Details below and on the blog. You can make one of the following six items:
- Quilted iPad (or other device) cover
- Sewing machine mat
- Scissor caddy
- Open Wide bag
- Boxy Pouch
- Drawstring bag
Suggested tutorials will be provided; no obligation to use specific tutorial if you have another you like.
Dates to remember:
- August 28 – Sign Up
- August 30 – Accept invitation to DrawNames and fill out information
- August 31 – Receive assigned partner
- October 9 – Bring completed item to the meeting for the swap
2020 Board Elections
We need a nomination committee for board elections this November. Anyone is welcome to run for any of the positions so if you have great ideas for the guild, consider running. The ballot will need to be finalized at the October meeting.
- President Elect
- VP of Membership
- VP of Programs (2 people)
Note that the President for 2020 was elected in 2019
Non-Board Volunteer Opportunities for 2020
- Giving Committee
- Welcome Committee
- Keeper of the Accuquilt
- Swaps/challenges committee
- Local sew in organizers
- Door prize/Swag Committee
- Retreat planning Committee
Bainbridge Island Quilt Festival
- Non-juried show!
- Enter Quilts
- Sign up for a volunteer shift
- Quilts will be collected at the September 11, 2019 meeting
- Kae will take the quilts over to Bainbridge – Thank you Kae!
- Matt will pick up the quilts from Bainbridge
- Quilts will be returned at the October 9, 2019 meeting
- Instructions for the next giving quilt are posted on the blog
- Blocks will be due in September
- Some fabric was handed out at the July meeting. Please contact our giving committee chairs if you need more.
Fall 2019 Retreat
- September 6-8, 2019 at Camp Huston in Goldbar. This is not on the same weekend as BIMQG Quilt Festival!
- Registration is live – see the blog post for the link. $220 Double and $285 Single. Singles are currently sold out, we may release more single spaces – get on the waitlist if interested!
We are considering Fort Worden in Port Townsend as an alternate spring retreat location for 2021.
Upcoming Guild Workshops
Sarah Bond is coming! She will be teaching two workshops. Registration is open through our website.
- Release the Geese, October 5, 10am-4pm @ Greenwood Senior Center
- New Twists on Diamond Piecing, October 6, 10am-4pm @ Greenwood Senior Center
- Join the Seattle MQG Circle! This is where meeting minutes are posted
- Check out the monthly content from the MQG – Block Study, Quilt of the Month, Webinars
- Find episodes of Fresh Quilting
- Upload photos of guild events and quilts for possible use on the guild facebook and instagram pages
- Quiltcon registration opens June 26th. Get tips here: https://community.themodernquiltguild.com/resources/quiltcon-2018-registration-webinar
- February 20-23, 2020 Austin, Tx – Austin Convention Center
- Course Catalog Released May 2019
- Member Registration Opens June 2019
- General Public Registration Opens July 2019
- Show Entries Open July 2019 (Early Entries could end up in QC Magazine)
- Show Entries Close November 30, 2019
- Sunday September 1, Quality Sew n Vac Creative Center in Tukwila, 11 am – 3:30 pm
- The guild is looking for new locations for sew-ins that have larger spaces and parking
- Join the Seattle MQG Circle – This is where meeting minutes will be posted
- Check out the monthly content the MQG puts out – Block Study, Quilt of the Month, Webinars, Etc.
- Find episodes of Fresh Quilting
- Watch for the latest Modern Monthly for new webinar offerings for July-September 2019
- Check out the recorded library of webinars (Resources section at themodernquiltguild.com)
Other Local Happenings
- Pacific NW Quilt & Fiber Arts Museum:
- Out of Darkness: Bent Needle Collective July 31 – October 27, 2019
- Shifting Tides: Convergence in Cloth SAQA June 26 – September 29, 2019
- Break the Rules Art Quilters group challenge, Fidalgo Island Quilters July 31 – September 1, 2019
- International Quilt & Fiber Arts Festival
- Festival will be October 11-13, Friday-Sunday Hours: Fri & Sat, 10-5 Sun, 10-4
- More details at qfamuseum.org
- Road to California Jan 23-26, 2020
- Sign up now open for classes: http://road2ca.com/classes.php
- Classes Monday, Jan. 20 – Sunday Jan. 26
- Juried & Judged Quilt Competition
- Entry Deadline: October 2, 2019
- Ontario Convention Center, Ontario, CA
- Dear Diary Quilt Along
- Sew along of the Dear Diary Challenge Quilt Designed by Anna Maria Horner
- Organized by our Friends Becca and Kris of Quilt Sandwich Fabrics
- Creativebug class – requires creativebug membership
- Intermediate level sampler that includes simple piecing, templates, and applique
- Quilting Mayhem (quiltingmayhem.com)
- Classes with David Owen Hastings
- Snappy Eyeglasses Cases: Sat. 09/28/2019 10:30 – 2:30
- Modern Abstract Quilts: Sat. 01/18/2020 10:30 – 2:30 & Sun. 01/19/2020 10:30 – 4:30
- Classes with Stephanie Satterwhite
- Do Half Square Triangles Like a Boss! Sat. 09/21/19 10:30 – 1:30
- Suncake Quilt Sat. 10/19/19 10:30 – 4:30
- Classes with David Owen Hastings
September Meeting Guest: Marcia Derse
Local fabric designer Marcia Derse will talk about “Creating Collections.” She will be sharing some of her early quilts and more recent design pieces, inspiration and original fabric designs that show how she creates a collection.
Marcia will also bring fabrics for sale including her newest collection “The Opposite”.
Check out her website: marciaderse.com
Sew and Tell
- Guild members shared their finished projects. Watch Facebook and Instagram for photos.
Next meeting Wednesday September 11, 2019 @ 7:00pm.