Wednesday, April 8, 2020, our first Zoom membership meeting!
If you haven’t used Zoom before, please create a Free account on Zoom. You don’t need to pay anything to participate in our Zoom membership meeting. When you sign up, the Zoom.us app will download to your computer. If you’ve used Zoom before, then you are all set to go!
How will the Zoom meeting work?
Current members of Seattle Modern Quilt Guild will receive an invitation email from Zoom with a link to the meeting. I plan to send this out a few days before our meeting.
- On Wednesday, April 8th, please get comfy in front of your computer with internet access a few minutes before 7:00 pm.
- Click the link in the Zoom email to join the meeting.
- We hope to start promptly at 7:00 pm.
- You can use a tablet device or smart phone, but it may be harder for you to see/hear unless you are on a larger screen. I recommend using your laptop or desktop computer.
You will be able to see and hear the meeting, but we won’t be able to see/hear you. You can participate, however, by using the Chat and Q&A windows. These can be opened from the bottom of the Zoom screen. I will give a quick intro at the beginning of the meeting, and ask you to introduce yourselves by typing into the Chat window. If you have questions during the meeting, please type them into the Q&A sidebar. I will also have a couple of Polls ready to ask for your participation.
If you have technical issues, first try logging out of Zoom, and then try the email link again (logging back in). Double check to see if the volume is turned up on your computer. You will also have the option of calling in via phone to listen to the meeting if your computer is not working (there will be a phone number in the invitation email). If you get completely stuck, I hope to record the meeting and will post it online for viewing later.
Meeting will include:
- Review of MQG Resources such as webinars, patterns, and other ways to stay inspired while social distancing
- 2020 Membership Directory is now available in our Seattle MQG Circle (log into themodernquiltguild.com to access)
- How to stay connected with the guild: ideas for social connection
- Cascadia Cabin in the Woods BOM review
- Color Inspiration Challenge block review
- Announcement of Virtual Swap, starting in June, and how to participate
- Virtual Sew and Tell (see below)
- And more!
Virtual Sew and Tell: send in your images!
We all love seeing everyone’s recently finished projects, and just because we aren’t meeting in person doesn’t mean this can’t happen. Please email your photos and descriptions (include size, and any meaningful background info) to email@example.com before 04/07 to be included in our Zoom meeting.
- The Everett Quilt Show has officially been postponed until May 2021. If you paid entry or workshop fees, the organizers are refunding them. We look forward to a fantastic quilt-filled show in 2021! Just think of all the amazing work being created this year!
- Bluprint is offering free access to all their online classes through 04/09. This is an excellent opportunity to try out a class and learn a new technique!
- Face Masks: there are many ways to get involved in making face masks. One is to join the Relief Crafters of America Facebook Group. They are sharing fairly up-to-date information, and can accept and redistribute masks made by you. Another option is to connect with your own local medical service provider, hospital or clinic, and see how you can help. Here is just one of MANY videos showing how to make a face mask.
NEXT GENERAL MEETING: May 13, 2020
This will likely be a Zoom meeting. We will communicate with all the members about a week before the meeting to confirm. Happy sewing!
“See” you next week….
Hi, David. I could not find the Zoom email in my in box. Perhaps I missed the renewal? Let me know if I am not a member. Thanks for sharing your quilts – it is cheering. Lotte
Hi Lotte! I haven’t sent the Zoom email invite to the members yet… It will come a few days before our Zoom meeting. Your membership is current, so you will get the email, probably on Monday. Glad you have enjoyed the quilts, I look forward to seeing a bunch submitted for our virtual sew and tell! Cheers, David
David, May I send photos of works in progress? Kae
Hi KAE, sure! Share what you’re working on, finished or not. Cheers, David