Attendance at this meeting was via Zoom webcast and number of attendees were not counted.
Call to order – David
2020 Block of the Month
- Susan (@sushifarmer) and Kathy (@a_swede_life) are designing and coordinating this year’s BOM, a row-by-row quilt called “Cascadia Cabin in the Woods.” Sewers can opt to follow the instructions as written or improvise where they are inspired to do so. As a result, the pattern is suitable for a wide range of skill levels.
- Monthly instructions will be on the blog on the first of each month. The first set was posted February 1st.
- Tag your progress #SEAMQG #Showusyourmqg
Color Inspiration Challenge
This fun challenge began in March. The theme is based on Anna Maria Horner’s method of color selection. There is an easy block pattern to follow and instructions are on the blog. The Giving Committee is accepting blocks from this challenge if you are inclined to donate yours. Contact Matt McComber for his mailing address (his contact information is in the guild directory on the MQG site in our Seattle Circle), or save your blocks until the next in-person meeting. Tag your creations with #seattlemqgcolorinspiration. For instructions on how to access the Seattle Circle, please visit the blog at https://seattlemodernquiltguild.com/membership/joining-the-seattle-mqg-circle
Matt is still collecting blocks for the “Improv New York Beauty” quilt. Instructions are on the blog, and Matt provided fabric. Blocks were due at the March 11 meeting but now are being accepted by mail. Please contact Matt via his information in the guild directory on the national MQG site in our Seattle Circle for his mailing address.
If you are interested in helping with quilting or binding charity quilts please contact Matt or Rachel S.
Katie presented on guidelines for making masks and showed several samples she has made. She also provided pattern suggestions and links:
- Simple Pleated Facemask (Sewing Seeds of Love) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QrW4zIjMwY
- Pleated Face Mask with knit ties (Jan Howell- Make It Simple) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UejCpjfbn8
- CraftPassion https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern
- The Crafty Quilter https://thecraftyquilter.com/2020/03/versatile-facemask-pattern-and-tutorial/
- AB Mask https://www.instructables.com/id/AB-Mask-20-for-a-Nurse-bya-Nurse
- Orange Dot Quilts https://www.orangedotquilts.com/simplemask/simple-mask
Making Masks for Donation
Consider contacting local doctors’ offices, hospitals, clinics, nursing homes to see if they need masks.
Bloodworks NW is in need of masks for employees. While any pattern can be used, they prefer this one: https://www.facebook.com/katie.wilkinson.3348/videos/10216337911257171/?t=70.
(Katie S. in our guild suggests using a piece of 16 gauge wire instead of the twist tie since the twist tie will not hold up well to washing and reshaping.)
- Any kind of strap/ear loop is OK
- Prefer a pocket for a filtering material (you can also donate filter material – microfiber or paper shop towels are suggested
- Prefer a different fabric on the inside vs outside so they can tell which is which, no knits
- Keep them in a paper bag or box, no plastic
When you are ready for pick-up/delivery:
- Email Naomi Howatt email@example.com or Brandi Green firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate a delivery or pick up
- Place masks in a sealed paper bag (taped or stapled) or a small box
- Place a note in the bag/box with your name and address and number of masks you made/are donating so Bloodworks staff can thank you
- On the bag/box label it: “To be opened by warehouse staff only at Renton Warehouse”
- Deliver to nearest center or Naomi or Brandi will arrange a pick up with you
Visit the Relief Crafters of America facebook page for information on current needs for masks and other supplies. This organization serves as a central point of contact for those who need masks and those who can make masks. https://www.facebook.com/groups/reliefcraftersofamerica/ You can also access them via instagram @reliefcraftersofamerica
United Way of King County has several opportunities to make masks for local organizations such as LIttle Bit Therapeutic Riding Center and Centro de la Raza. https://volunteer.uwkc.org/need/ Scroll the list as there are more opportunities listed past page 1.
- The Tara Faughnan workshops were rescheduled for July 25-26, dependent on future restrictions. We will update as the date draws closer.
- Timna Tarr will be teaching workshops on September 12 & 13 and giving a trunk show at our September 9 guild meeting.
2020 Guild Sew-ins
- Saturday, August 8, 2020
Greenwood Senior Center
- Saturday, December 5, 2020
Holiday Party at the
Greenwood Senior Center
2020 Guild Retreats
- Our spring day retreat and the spring retreat have been postponed due to the corona virus outbreak.
- Day Retreat at Quilting Mayhem November 6-8, 2020
- Fall retreat at Camp Burton dates TBD
Other Local Happenings
For all events, please follow up with the venues or the presenters to make sure they are still taking place as scheduled.
- See information above under Mask-Making for information on the Bloodworks NW appeal for masks.
- Remember to shop at our local quilt shops! They need our support.
- Sell online with curbside pickup or shipping
- Many having sales and specials
- Everett Quilt Show
- Gala: April 30, 2020; Show: May 1-2, 2020; Entry Deadline: March 31, 2020
- Women’s Suffrage special display
- Volunteers needed!
- NW Folklife is postponed. New dates have not yet been announced.
- We are looking for ideas on where to hold an outdoor quilt show for the guild in the summer. If you have ideas, email us at email@example.com
- “A Quilters Affair (aka “Sisters”)
- Registration for 2020 began January 8. Check quiltersaffair.com for details including teachers/schedule and remaining availability.
- Classes take place the week of the outdoor quilt show: Monday July 6-Friday July 10, 2020
- Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show: Saturday July 11, 2020
- Quilt Luminarium with Ricky Tims (symposium)
- May 16-17, 2020
- Lynnwood Embassy Suites
- $184 early bird registration through April 1
- See www.rickytims.com/quilt-luminarium
- Pacific Northwest MQG Meetup 2020
- August 20-23, 2020 (we hope this will still be taking place)
- Hosted by Portland MQG
- Visit their facebook page for more details http://www.facebook.com/groups/PNWMQGmeetup
- International Quilt and Fiber Arts Festival
- Call for entries is now open!
- Festival dates: Oct. 9 –11, 2020 Edward D. Hansen Conference Center, Everett, WA Sponsored by Pacific Northwest Quilt & Fiber Arts Museum
- Visit their website to enter
- Help for Australia: Woolongong Modern Quilt Guild. Visit their facebook page @woolongongmodernquiltguild for details and information about current needs in support of those affected by the fires in Australia.
- Animal Rescue Craft Guild collecting sewn supplies for animal care. Visit their facebook page for details and to make sure they are still in need of supplies rather than monetary donations.
- Free Motion Quilting Challenge with Angela Walters
- Join the Facebook Group
- FREE quilt-along guidance with videos
- Improve your machine quilting skills
- Multiple challenges to follow
- More information is on Angela Walters’ site: www.quiltingismytherapy.com
- Join the Seattle MQG Circle – This is where meeting minutes are posted as well as on the blog
- Instructions how to access the Circle are on the blog under “Membership”
- Print membership cards from the Circle
- Membership directory is posted there (please do not share with others)
- Check out the monthly content from the MQG – Block Study, Quilt of the Month, Webinars
- Find episodes of Fresh Quilting
- Watch for the latest Modern Monthly for new webinar offerings
- Check out the recorded library of webinars (Resources section at themodernquiltguild.com)
- Upload photos of guild events and quilts for possible use on the guild facebook and instagram pages
Sew and Tell
- Guild members shared their finished projects via images presented on Zoom. Watch Facebook and Instagram for photos.
Next regular guild meeting will be Wednesday May 13 @ 7:00pm via Zoom. Information to sign up and get the zoom link will be sent out closer to the date.