Hello Quilty Friends!
How can we sew together while we’re still social distancing? Don’t you worry about that… we have ideas!
Introducing, the Scrappy Gift Swap!
It’s time for an isolation-friendly Scrappy Gift Swap. Here’s the plan:
- A swap with your fellow Seattle Modern Guild members.
- Everything will be from your scraps. No need to go shopping.
- You choose what you want to make. You know your stash better than anyone!
- Scrappy Gifts will be sent by mail. (Or, you can do a secret porch dropoff if your partner lives nearby.)
This swap will be maker-driven. Take a look at what you have on hand, and choose something you’ll enjoy making. Some suggestions for small gifts include: mug rugs; pouches; journal covers; potholders; soup bowl cozies; sunglass cases; baskets; pincushions; rotary cutter pouches; ruler pouches; coasters; etc. But hey, no masks! Most of us are pretty tired of sewing masks by now!
Here are some ideas, gathered in a Pinterest board that David has set up, to get your creative ideas flowing. Don’t feel limited by these ideas, this is your chance to make something of your choice! Click on the image to visit the board:
David recently had to make a small gift for a friend, and used the quilted coaster inspiration he found on Pinterest to make these babies:
David is also very tempted to try making a fabric bowl, following Portland fiber artist Hilde Morin’s 4-part directions on her blog. The complete fiber bowl directions can be found here.
Who knows what each lucky recipient will receive? This is a great opportunity to try something new, and brighten someone’s day.
How to participate in the swap
Here’s how the sign-up process works. Note that there are a couple of deadlines in this process; they’re in bold below:
- Start with this link to go to a Google Form. Registration is open now and closes May 15th, 2020.
- After registration has closed, your info will be sent to Deborah C., who will enter it into DrawNames, the system we use for drawing names at random.
- A few days later, you’ll get an email from DrawNames. If you haven’t used DrawNames before, you’ll have to set up an account. Then you’ll enter additional information, including your mailing address. (Info will only be shared within the swap group.) Be sure to enter this information by May 20th, 2020.
- Since this swap is maker-driven, you won’t need to list any preferences. As a maker, you make what you want to make; as a recipient, you get what you get!
- Once you’re set up with DrawNames, you’ll be assigned a swap partner. This is who you’ll be making a gift for, and you’ll keep this secret. Someone else will get your name, but that’ll be a secret, too!
- Gifts should be mailed or delivered in time to reach your partner by Saturday, July 18th, 2020.
- Open your gift and enjoy! Then share your gift on Instagram (if you want to) so we can all see. #SeattleMQGscrappygiftswap #SeattleMQGsewathome
And here’s a mailing tip: You can order free mailing supplies online from USPS. Use their Click-N-Ship service to pay for and print out your prepaid label, attach it to a free flat rate package, and schedule a pickup from your home.
Thanks to Deborah C. for coordinating this swap, and to Aline C. for writing up the directions! If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.