Begonia Quilt by Terry Peart
The meeting was held via Zoom. There were 68 attendees.
Call to order – David
2020 Block of the Month
- Susan (@sushifarmer) and Kathy (@a_swede_life) are designing and coordinating a row-by-row quilt called “Cascadia Cabin in the Woods.” The pattern is suitable for a wide range of skill levels.
- Monthly instructions are being posted on the blog on the first of each month. There is still time to join in and sew!
- Tag your progress #cascadiacabinquilt #SEAMQG #Showusyourmqg
- Each month there will be a drawing for a prize for guild members who post updated progress photos of their 2020 BOM on Instagram (public accounts only) or email them to email@example.com. The winner will be announced at the monthly meetings.
The Giving Committee needs help with quilting and binding charity quilts. Please contact Matt or Rachel S. Their contact info is in our membership directory on our MQG Circle.
Color Inspiration Challenge Quilt: Pam C. offered to quilt this
Black & White Letters #2: Still in need of a volunteer
Improv Aqua Quilt: Still in need of a volunteer
Scrappy Gift Swap
This swap is wrapping up. Gifts are due to recipients by July 18. Watch Instagram tag #SeattleMQGscrappygiftswap.
NATIONAL: #MQGKeepCalmandSewOn Follow and see what other MQGers are sewing
LOCAL: #SeattleMQGSewAtHome Keep using to connect with our guild members
#BegoniaQuilt Virtual Quilt Show
- Coming soon on our blog! See members’ Begonia quilts from the 2019 BOM.
Calling Member Long-Armers!
We are putting together a list of long-arm quilters who are members of our guild, to be placed on our website. Send us your contact information to be included.
2020 Guild Sew-ins
- Virtual Sew-ins
- These have been a hit! Currently there are 5 groups which will meet until July 12. More will be set up after that.
- Blog post will be sent out with information and sign up sheet when new groups are being formed.
- Saturday, August 8, 2020 – TBD dependent on future restrictions
Greenwood Senior Center
- Saturday, December 5, 2020 – dependent on future restrictions
Holiday Party at the Greenwood Senior Center
Guest Speaker: Cindy Grisdela
- Improve quilter Cindy Grisdela gave a talk and showed examples of her work
- She is moving her classes online. For more information see her website: https://www.cindygrisdela.com/lectures-workshops/
- Australian author, teacher and fabric designer Kathy Doughty lecture and trunk show at July meeting.
- The Tara Faughnan workshops were rescheduled. The color workshop will be July 25 9:30-4:30, and the hand quilting workshop will be August 9 1-4pm. Those who registered for the workshops in March will get “dibs” on spots to attend, and then it will open to the rest of the guild.
- Timna Tarr will be teaching workshops on September 12 & 13 and giving a trunk show at our September 9 guild meeting.
- Possible speakers at upcoming meetings: Christina Camelli for August and Jaquie Gehring for October. (not yet final)
2020 Guild Retreats
- Day Retreat at Quilting Mayhem November 6-8, 2020
- Fall retreat at Camp Burton dates TBD
- We are looking at having a virtual retreat and we will update if it is going to take place
For all events please follow up with the venues or the presenters to make sure they are still taking place.
- Remember to shop at our local quilt shops! They need our support.
- Sell online with curbside pickup or shipping, or in-store with restrictions
- Many having sales and specials
- Quiltcon 2021, called “QuiltconTogether” will be held virtually
- Catalog will be released June 2020
- Registration will be July 2020
- FAQ at https://www.quiltcon.com/faq
- Blueprint is closing their website. They sent information to their members.
- Undercover Quilts closed their shop downtown and will be online-only now. www.Undercoverquilts.com
Making Masks for Donation
The Bellevue School District is in need of masks. If you are interested in helping, please see: https://bsd405.org/2020/05/bsd-needs-5000-masks/ The Tom Bihn mask pattern is well suited for sewing in quantity. https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/maskhowto . See the May minutes on the blog for links to more patterns.
Consider contacting local doctors’ offices, hospitals, clinics, nursing homes and your neighbors to see if they need masks.
National MQG Website
- Join the Seattle MQG Circle – This is where meeting minutes are posted as well as on the blog
- Instructions how to access the Circle are on the blog under “Membership”
- Print membership cards from the Circle
- Membership directory is posted there (please do not share with others)
- For instructions on how to access the circle go to our local guild’s blog: https://seattlemodernquiltguild.com/membership/joining-the-seattle-mqg-circle
- Check out the monthly content from the MQG – Block Study, Quilt of the Month, Webinars
- Find episodes of Fresh Quilting
- Watch for the latest Modern Monthly for webinar offerings, quilt patterns and other resources
- Check out the recorded library of webinars (Resources section at themodernquiltguild.com)
- Upload photos of guild events and quilts for possible use on the guild facebook and instagram pages
Sew and Tell
- Guild members shared their finished projects via images presented on Zoom. Watch Facebook and Instagram for photos.
- Send sew-and-tell photos and stories any time to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Next regular guild meeting will be Wednesday July 8 @ 7:00pm via Zoom. Information to sign up and get the zoom link will be sent out closer to the date.
- Tag your work using #SeattleMQGJulyMeeting on Instagram