Wednesday, July 8, 2020, we will meet virtually again via Zoom, with live video and audio! Social time from 6:30 pm to 7:00, and again for a short time after our presenter speaks. We will be able to see and hear you via your computer’s camera and microphone. (If you prefer not to be seen/heard, please mute both.)
NEWS #1: Zoom membership meetings are now open only to paid Seattle Modern Quilt Guild members. If you’re getting this blog post via email, and aren’t a member yet, you can join for the remainder of the year. The cost is $29.50, that’s just $5 a month for the remaining 6 months of great programming. We have some wonderful speakers and activities lined up, please join us!
NEWS #2: The Seattle MQG board decided that we will meet virtually for the remainder of 2020, so all meetings going forward will be via Zoom through December 2020. We are disappointed that we won’t be meeting in person, but want to prioritize everyone’s health and safety first. We have some fun ideas in the works, including an all-guild virtual sew-in, and possibly an impromptu outdoor quilt show… stay tuned!
Kathy Doughty: Material Obsession
Kathy is a fabric designer, teacher, author and quilt shop owner who lives and works in Sydney, Australia. She has recently released a book called Organic Appliqué and will be joining us from her Material Obsession quilt shop in Sydney for a trunk show and discussion of her organic appliqué method.
“I was one of those quilters that struggled with applique and never got the results I wanted. Because I was always concentrating on how to get good results, I couldn’t relax into my creative side. If we are struggling with how we do things the why we do them disappears…right? After decades of exploring the different appliqué techniques I found a few methods that make the process easy and in the doing also make the composing more interesting.”
Meeting will include:
- 6:30 pm: Sign in early for optional socializing with video and audio on!
- 6:55 pm: Final sign-ins before meeting starts
- 7:00 pm: Short announcements (recording starts, please mute microphones)
- 7:10 pm: Introduction of our guest presenter, Kathy Doughty
- 7:15 – 8:00 pm: Kathy Doughty presents
- 8:00 – 8:15 pm: Q&A with Kathy
- 8:15 – 8:30 pm: Breakout Rooms* for small group socializing
- 8:30 – 9:00 pm: Sew and Tell**
*At 8:15 pm, we will use Zoom’s Breakout Rooms feature. All the meeting attendees will be randomly assigned to smaller groups, called Breakout Rooms. You can then turn on your video and audio, and chat real-time with each other for 15 minutes. This is a great opportunity to get to know other guild members, and hear what they are sewing! At 8:30 pm you will be brought back into the main meeting for Sew and Tell.
**During Sew and Tell, you are welcome to unmute yourself to say a few words about the project you are sharing.
Can’t stay for the whole meeting? That’s OK! Just join us for as long as you are able. You can leave the meeting at any time.
You’re not a Seattle MQG Member yet? You can join us for the remainder of the year. Membership is reduced to $29.50 if you join July 1st or later. Don’t miss out on our wonderful speakers, join today!
Sew and Tell
Please send images of your recent projects to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SEW AND TELL” in the subject line by 6:00 pm, Tuesday July 7th to be included in our Zoom meeting Sew and Tell. You can also share your projects using the hashtag #SeattleMQGJulyMeeting on Instagram. (If your IG account is set to Private, be sure to invite David to follow you, otherwise he won’t be able to view the images you post.) David will show images of the finished projects, and you can unmute yourself to say a few words about your quilts.
Zoom meeting nuts & bolts
If you haven’t used Zoom before, please create a Free account on Zoom. You don’t need to pay anything to participate in our Zoom membership meeting. When you sign up, the Zoom.us app will download to your computer. If you’ve used Zoom before, then you are all set to go!
- Current members of Seattle Modern Quilt Guild will receive an invitation email from our guild Gmail account. Our Zoom meetings are for Seattle MQG members only.
- For security sake, you will be asked to Register for the meeting. Please do so as soon as you get the email invitation.
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. Save the email as you will use the link and password to join the meeting.
- On Wednesday, July 8th, please get comfy in front of your computer with internet access.
- Click the link in the Zoom email to join the meeting, and follow the instructions to sign in.
- Sign in at 6:30 pm for social time, or by 6:55 pm at the latest, as we will start the program promptly at 7:00 pm.
- Your camera and microphone will be on! Feel free to mute yourself and/or turn off your camera, especially when we are watching the speaker present.
- You can use a tablet device or smart phone, but it may be harder for you to see/hear unless you are on a larger screen. I recommend using your laptop or desktop computer.
- If you are new to Zoom, we recommend you read this short intro to joining a Zoom meeting.
If you have questions during the meeting, have general comments or just want to cheer someone on, please use the Chat window. I will also have some Polls ready to ask for your participation.
If you have technical issues, first try logging out of Zoom, and then try the email link again (logging back in). Make sure you are using the link for this particular meeting. Double check to see if the volume is turned up on your computer, and no bluetooth audio devices are attached. You will also have the option of calling in via phone to listen to the meeting if your computer is not working (there will be a phone number in the invitation email). If you get completely stuck, the meeting will be recorded and available online for viewing later.
NEXT GENERAL MEETING: August 12, 2020
We will continue to meet via Zoom through the remainder of 2020. Thanks, and happy sewing!
SeaMQG bookmobile starting later in July (date TBD). Check titles of books and request the book(s) you would like to check out. I will also be picking up books that are currently checked out so please find them for turn in. 🙂 Kae
Yes, thanks KAE for offering to be our mobile librarian! We will be mentioning this again in the membership meeting.
I don’t see the link to sign up for the meeting? Where is it hiding?
We send the meeting invite to you directly via email. I just sent it again, in case you missed it the first time!
See you next Weds.!