Image credit: Minnie Lai
Seattle Modern Quilt Guild Meeting Minutes – July 2020
The July meeting was held via Zoom. There were 80 attendees.
Call to order – David
2020 Block of the Month
- Susan (@sushifarmer) and Kathy (@a_swede_life) are designing and coordinating a row-by-row quilt called “Cascadia Cabin in the Woods.” The pattern is suitable for a wide range of skill levels.
- See monthly instructions on the blog on the first of each month. You can join in anytime!
- Tag your progress #cascadiacabinquilt #SEAMQG #Showusyourmqg
- Each month there will be a drawing for a prize for guild members who post updated progress photos of their 2020 BOM on Instagram (public accounts only) or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. The winner will be announced at the monthly meetings.
The Giving Committee needs help with quilting and binding charity quilts. Please contact Matt or Rachel S. Their contact info is in our membership directory on our MQG Circle.
- Color Inspiration Challenge Quilt: Pam Cole will quilt
- Black & White Letters #2: Chelsey Weber will quilt
- Improv Aqua Quilt: Dionne Mathies-Buban will quilt
Matt has made all the backings and bindings and is working on the New York Beauty quilt top
Scrappy Gift Swap
Watch Instagram tag #SeattleMQGscrappygiftswap to see all the gifts.
NATIONAL: #MQGKeepCalmandSewOn Follow and see what other MQGers are sewing
LOCAL: #SeattleMQGSewAtHome Keep using to connect with our guild members
Guild Blog & Info
- Meetings will be held on ZOOM through the end of the calendar year
- ZOOM meetings will only be open to paid SEAMQG members
- On the blog:
- Meeting announcements, recordings and notes
- Block of the Month
- Workshops & Event Info
- Giving Quilts
- Membership Info
Find a Guild Long-Armer
A list of long-arm quilters who are members of our guild is now on the guild website under Resources. Longarmers, send our president, David, your contact information to be included. We want to have everyone on the list. Guild Longarmers
2020 Guild Sew-ins
- Virtual Sew-ins
- New groups will be forming soon
- Blog post will be sent out with information and sign up sheet when new groups are being formed
- Up to 8 members will be in each group
- An all-guild virtual sew-in is being looked into
- Saturday, December 5, 2020 – dependent on future restrictions
Holiday Party at the Greenwood Senior Center
Possible Outdoor Quilt Show
- Under consideration as an event for our guild
- We would meet at a designated park, bring 1-2 quilts, spread them out, enjoy for 1-2 hours.
- KAE is willing to deliver books at a set time/meeting point
- Seattle and Eastside locations
- The book list is on our website
- Email KAE at email@example.com to reserve a book and arrange a pickup
July Guest Speaker: Kathy Doughty
- Quilter, fabric designer and fabric shop owner Kathy Doughty gave a talk and showed examples of her work – all the way from Australia!
- Instagram @matobsgirl to see her work and find a link to her shop
- Gossypium donated one of Kathy’s books as a give-away. Thanks LaNetta!
- Quilter, fabric designer and pattern designer Christina Camelli lecture and trunk show at August meeting. She teaches in-person and online classes:
- Combining Designs: Free Motion and Fun; July 24, 9-12 (Zoom); $50
- Free Motion Textures; July 31, 2-5 (Zoom); $50
- Continuous Line Designs; August 1, 10-1 (Zoom); $50
- Scrappy Quarter Cabins; August 14, 10-1 (Zoom); $50
- Fresh Quilting classes on the MQG website
- The Tara Faughnan workshops were rescheduled and will be held virtually. The color workshop will be July 25 9:30-4:30, and the hand quilting workshop will be August 9 1-4pm. Those who registered for the workshops in March will get “dibs” on spots to attend, and then it will open to the rest of the guild. The color workshop is full.
- Timna Tarr will be teaching workshops on September 12 & 13 and giving a trunk show at our September 9 guild meeting.
- Speaker at the October 14 meeting: Jaquie Gehring
2020 Guild Retreats
- Day Retreat at Quilting Mayhem November 6-8, 2020
- We are looking at having a virtual retreat and we will update if it is going to take place
For all events please follow up with the venues or the presenters to make sure they are still taking place.
- Remember to shop at our local quilt shops! They need our support.
- Sell online with curbside pickup or shipping, or in-store with restrictions
- Many having sales and specials
- Quiltcon 2021, called “QuiltconTogether” will be held virtually
- Support the NBAF (National Black Arts) and the Social Justice Sewing Academy with the new Better Together t-shirt: Order here
- Blueprint access will continue as “Craftsy”
National MQG Website
- Join the Seattle MQG Circle – This is where meeting minutes are posted as well as on the blog
- Instructions how to access the Circle are on the blog under “Membership”
- Print membership cards from the Circle
- Membership directory is posted there (please do not share with others)
- For instructions on how to access the circle go to our local guild’s blog: https://seattlemodernquiltguild.com/membership/joining-the-seattle-mqg-circle
- Check out the monthly content from the MQG – Block Study, Quilt of the Month, Webinars
- Watch Textile Talk webinar Reflecting on Modern: A Retrospective Chat about QuiltCon Winners
- Winners from previous Quiltcon shows
- Discussion about modern quilting and what makes these quilts modern
- Find episodes of Fresh Quilting
- Watch for the latest Modern Monthly for webinar offerings, quilt patterns and other resources
- Check out the recorded library of webinars (Resources section at themodernquiltguild.com)
- Upload photos of guild events and quilts for possible use on the guild facebook and instagram pages
Sew and Tell
- Guild members shared their finished projects via images presented on Zoom. Watch Facebook and Instagram for photos.
- Send sew-and-tell photos and stories any time to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Next regular guild meeting will be Wednesday August 12 @ 7:00pm via Zoom. Information to sign up and get the zoom link will be sent out closer to the date. Tag your work using #SeattleMQGAugustMeeting on Instagram