Wednesday, August 12, 2020, we will meet virtually again via Zoom, with live video and audio! Social time from 6:30 to 7:00 pm, and again for a short time after our presenter speaks. We will be able to see and hear you via your computer’s camera and microphone. (If you prefer not to be seen/heard, please mute both.)
For the August meeting, we will stop recording when our guest presenter speaks. So join us live for all the good stuff, including Christina Cameli!
Zoom membership meetings are now open only to paid Seattle Modern Quilt Guild members. If you’re getting this blog post via email, and aren’t a member yet, you can join for the remainder of the year. The cost is $29.50, that’s just $5 a month for the remaining 6 months of great programming. We have some wonderful speakers and activities lined up, please join us!
Seattle MQG will meet virtually for the remainder of 2020, so all meetings going forward will be via Zoom through December 2020. We are disappointed that we won’t be meeting in person, but want to prioritize everyone’s health and safety first. We have some fun ideas in the works, including an all-guild virtual sew-in, and possibly an impromptu outdoor quilt show… stay tuned!
Christina Cameli: author, fabric designer, teacher and free-motion quilting expert
Christina Cameli will join us as our guest presenter for the August meeting. Please note that her presentation will not be recorded, so be sure to join us live if you want to see her present!
Christina will give a brief lecture about variables she considers when deciding how to quilt a quilt top. Then, working with photos of unfinished guild members’ tops she will discuss with the maker some options for finishing them. Everyone will see her sketch ideas through screen sharing in this thought-provoking exploration of an important step in quilt creation.
Submit a Quilt Top for Discussion
Submit a flat, well-lit photo of one unfinished quilt top for possible inclusion in our meeting. We will likely have time for her to work on 6-8 quilts. Send your photo to our guild email address, with your name and the approximate quilt size by Monday, August 10th. Tops will be discussed in the order received. You must be present to hear Christina talk about how to quilt your submission. This presentation will not be recorded.
Meeting will include:
- 6:30 pm: Sign in early for optional socializing with video and audio on!
- 6:55 pm: Final sign-ins before meeting starts
- 7:00 pm: Short announcements (recording starts, please mute microphones)
- 7:10 pm: Introduction of our guest presenter, Christina Cameli (recording stops)
- 7:15 – 8:00 pm: Christina Cameli presents
- 8:00 – 8:15 pm: Q&A with Christina
- 8:15 – 8:30 pm: Breakout Rooms* for small group socializing (recording starts again after this)
- 8:30 – 9:00 pm: Announcements + Sew and Tell featuring our Scrappy Gift Swap**
*At 8:15 pm, we will use Zoom’s Breakout Rooms feature. All the meeting attendees will be randomly assigned to smaller groups, called Breakout Rooms. You can then turn on your video and audio, and chat real-time with each other for 15 minutes. This is a great opportunity to get to know other guild members, and hear what they are sewing! At 8:30 pm you will be brought back into the main meeting for Sew and Tell. Recording will resume at this point.
**During Sew and Tell, you are welcome to unmute yourself to say a few words about the project you are sharing. This month, we are featuring all the Scrappy Gift Swap items you made (plus anything else you want to share)… MAKERS: send your images in via email to be included in the meeting slides. We will also look at the gifts tagged using #SeattleMQGScrappyGiftSwap on Instagram.
Can’t stay for the whole meeting? That’s OK! Just join us for as long as you are able. You can leave the meeting at any time.
You’re not a Seattle MQG Member yet? You can join us for the remainder of the year. Membership is reduced to $29.50 if you join July 1st or later. Don’t miss out on our wonderful speakers, join today!
Sew and Tell
Please send images of your recent projects to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SEW AND TELL” in the subject line by 6:00 pm, Monday August 10th to be included in our Zoom meeting Sew and Tell. You can also share your projects using the hashtags #SeattleMQGAugustMeeting and #SeattleMQGScrappyGiftSwap on Instagram. (If your IG account is set to Private, be sure to invite David to follow you, otherwise he won’t be able to view the images you post.) David will show images of the finished projects, and you can unmute yourself to say a few words about your quilts. For August, be sure to share the Scrappy Gift Swap items you made!
Special Offer from Wyldwood Creative
In May, our guest presenter was small business owner Tawnee Kinnebrew of Wyldwood Creative. Tawnee really appreciates all the orders she has gotten from our guild members, and has extended her online shopping coupon offer to August 10th. Use these codes at checkout:
- SMQG5 for $5 off $25 or more
- SMQG10 for $10 off $50 or more
- Visit Wyldwood Creative online
Zoom meeting nuts & bolts
If you haven’t used Zoom before, please create a Free account on Zoom. You don’t need to pay anything to participate in our Zoom membership meeting. When you sign up, the Zoom.us app will download to your computer. If you’ve used Zoom before, then you are all set to go!
- Current members of Seattle Modern Quilt Guild will receive an invitation email from our guild Gmail account. Our Zoom meetings are for Seattle MQG members only.
- For security sake, you will be asked to Register for the meeting. Please do so as soon as you get the email invitation.
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. Save the email as you will use the link and password to join the meeting.
- On Wednesday, August 12th, please get comfy in front of your computer with internet access.
- Click the link in the Zoom email to join the meeting, and follow the instructions to sign in.
- Sign in at 6:30 pm for social time, or by 6:55 pm at the latest, as we will start the program promptly at 7:00 pm.
- Your camera and microphone will be on! Feel free to mute yourself and/or turn off your camera, especially when we are watching the speaker present.
- You can use a tablet device or smart phone, but it may be harder for you to see/hear unless you are on a larger screen. I recommend using your laptop or desktop computer.
- If you are new to Zoom, we recommend you read this short intro to joining a Zoom meeting.
- Previous Zoom users may want to check for updates to the Zoom app: launch the app, then click on the upper-right corner (your photo if you uploaded one) of the Zoom screen, and select “Check for updates” from that menu. Follow instructions to download the latest version.
If you have questions during the meeting, have general comments or just want to cheer someone on, please use the Chat window. I will also have some Polls ready to ask for your participation.
If you have technical issues, first try logging out of Zoom, and then try the email link again (logging back in). Make sure you are using the link for this particular meeting. Double check to see if the volume is turned up on your computer, and no bluetooth audio devices are attached. You will also have the option of calling in via phone to listen to the meeting if your computer is not working (there will be a phone number in the invitation email). If you get completely stuck, the meeting will be recorded and available online for viewing later.
NEXT GENERAL MEETING: September 9, 2020
We will continue to meet via Zoom through the remainder of 2020. Thanks, and happy sewing!