Image credit: Monica Guckenheimer
The August meeting was held via Zoom.
Call to order – David
2020 Block of the Month
- Susan (@sushifarmer) and Kathy (@a_swede_life) are designing and coordinating a row-by-row quilt called “Cascadia Cabin in the Woods.” The pattern is suitable for a wide range of skill levels.
- See monthly instructions on the blog on the first of each month. You can join in anytime!
- Tag your progress #cascadiacabinquilt #SEAMQG #Showusyourmqg
2021 Block of the Month
We need you! The board has a few ideas for 2021 but welcomes your creativity!
One idea: small quilt teams, working on a theme.
It’s time to start planning. Reach out to any board member to volunteer.
The Giving Committee will be starting to work on the “Community Outreach Quilt” for Quiltcon. Fabric colors that can be used are various shades of oranges and blues (fabric will be provided). Our guild will be making a quilt designed by David Owen Hastings, our guild president. Our Giving Committee, Matt and Rachel, will provide fabrics.
The timeline is:
- August 18: Mailout of fabrics begins
- October 14th: completed blocks are due
- January 15th, 2021: submission is due (with photos of the finished quilt)
- February 18-22, 2021: QuiltCon!
See the blog post from August 5 for more information
NATIONAL: #MQGKeepCalmandSewOn Follow and see what other MQGers are sewing
LOCAL: #SeattleMQGSewAtHome Keep using to connect with our guild members
Guild Blog & Info
- Meetings will be held on ZOOM through the end of the calendar year
- ZOOM meetings will only be open to paid SEAMQG members
- On the blog:
- Meeting announcements, recordings and notes
- Block of the Month
- Workshops & Event Info
- Giving Quilts
- Membership Info
Find a Guild Long-Armer
A list of long-arm quilters who are members of our guild is now on the guild website under Resources. Longarmers, send our president, David, your contact information to be included. We want to have everyone on the list. Guild Longarmers
2020 Guild Sew-ins
- Virtual Sew-ins
- A new round of sew-ins has started with higher participation. This round will wrap-up in early September.
- An all-guild virtual sew-in is at Nov 11 guild meeting
- Saturday, December 5, 2020 Virtual Holiday Party
- Online event via Zoom
- All guild members participate
- Use breakout rooms for fun games/activities
- Virtual Gift Swap
- Jana Royal & Alexandra Immel are organizing — we need one more volunteer to help!
Outdoor Quilt Show
- Will be held Sat, August 29 10:30am -noon.
- We will meet at East Greenlake Way N at 65th St.
- Bring 1-2 quilts, spread them out on a plastic sheet, and enjoy
- Bring a mask and a chair.
Guild Board Elections
- At Nov 11 meeting
- Election of new board members
- Positions open:
- VP of Membership
- VP of Programs (two positions)
- Communications (new position!)
- We need a small nominating committee: will you please volunteer?
- All-guild sew-in after the elections are complete!
- KAE is willing to deliver books at a set time/meeting point
- Seattle and Eastside locations
- The book list is on our website
- Email KAE at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a book and arrange a pickup
July Guest Speaker: Christina Camelli
- Quilt designer and author of 4 books, Christina Camelli, gave a talk on and showed examples of free motion quilting. She also made FMQ suggestions for a few quilts submitted by our guild.
- Visit her website ChristinaCamelli.com to learn more about her work and upcoming classes
- David Owen Hastings will be providing a lecture for guild members only titled “Instagram for Artists.” The lecture will be held on Wed, Sept 2 from 6:30-8pm. An email invitation will be going out to guild members. Visit David’s website davidowenhastings.com for more information.
- Timna Tarr will be giving a talk and trunk show at our September 9 guild meeting. Learn more about her at www.timnatarr.com
- Speaker at the October 14 meeting: Walking foot quilter Jaquie Gering www.jaquiegering.com
2020 Guild Retreats
- Day Retreat at Quilting Mayhem November 6-8, 2020
- We are looking at having a virtual retreat and we will update if it is going to take place
For all events please follow up with the venues or the presenters to make sure they are still taking place.
- Remember to shop at our local quilt shops! They need our support.
- Sell online with curbside pickup or shipping, or in-store with restrictions
- Many having sales and specials
- Quiltcon 2021, called “QuiltconTogether” will be held virtually
- Registration for workshops and lectures is underway
- Quilt show submissions will open Sept 1.
- Go to https://www.quiltcon.com
- The quilt giveaway this year is designed and made by Seattle MQG members Stephanie Satterwhite and Matt Macomber
- Community Outreach Quilt Challenge theme will be “curves.” For info
- There is a new webinar on the MQG site on “Taking Quality Photos for Quilt Show Entry.” There is a video and a pdf of the slideshow there.
- Support the NBAF (National Black Arts) and the Social Justice Sewing Academy with the new Better Together t-shirt: Order here
National MQG Website
- Join the Seattle MQG Circle – This is where meeting minutes are posted as well as on the blog
- Instructions how to access the Circle are on the blog under “Membership”
- Print membership cards from the Circle
- Membership directory is posted there (please do not share with others)
- For instructions on how to access the circle go to our local guild’s blog: https://seattlemodernquiltguild.com/membership/joining-the-seattle-mqg-circle
- Check out the monthly content from the MQG – Block Study, Quilt of the Month, Webinars
- Watch Textile Talk webinar Reflecting on Modern: A Retrospective Chat about QuiltCon Winners
- Winners from previous Quiltcon shows
- Discussion about modern quilting and what makes these quilts modern
- Find episodes of Fresh Quilting
- Watch for the latest Modern Monthly for webinar offerings, quilt patterns and other resources
- Check out the recorded library of webinars (Resources section at themodernquiltguild.com)
- Upload photos of guild events and quilts for possible use on the guild facebook and Instagram pages
Sew and Tell
- Guild members shared their finished projects via images presented on Zoom. Watch Facebook and Instagram for photos.
- Send sew-and-tell photos and stories any time to: email@example.com
- Next regular guild meeting will be Wednesday Sept 9 @ 7:00pm via Zoom. Information to sign up and get the zoom link will be sent out closer to the date.
- Tag your work using #SeattleMQGSeptemberMeeting on Instagram