Wednesday, November 11, 2020, join us via Zoom, with live video and audio! Social time from 6:30 to 7:00 pm, and again for a short time after our presenter speaks. We will be able to see and hear you via your computer’s camera and microphone. (If you prefer not to be seen/heard, please mute both.) Meetings are open to Seattle MQG members only.
Paid Seattle MQG members will get an email on the first of the month with an invite to register for the meeting. Please follow the link and register right away. You will then get a confirmation email from Zoom: save the confirmation email and use it to join us on the meeting date. (If you don’t see either email in your inbox, please check your junk mail folder as they might be there.)
Seattle MQG will continue to meet virtually into 2021 — all meetings going forward will be via Zoom until it is safe to meet in person. We are disappointed that we won’t be meeting in person, but want to prioritize everyone’s health and safety first.
Stephanie Hackney: Director of Sales & Marketing, Craft & Retail, Hobbs Bonded Fibers
Stephanie Hackney will join us as our guest presenter for the November meeting. Her presentation will be recorded, but join us live to hear Stephanie and have a chance to ask questions!
This lecture offers quilters and other creatives a chance to learn all about batting, and to possibly WIN FREE BATTING! This abbreviated lecture is appx. 1/2 hour in length.
This lecture covers:
- the questions we ask quilters to assist them in narrowing down the many batting choices to what’s ‘best’ for achieving the results they desire;
- the various fiber types, and pros and (potential) cons of each type
Stephanie is responsible for sales of Hobbs’ craft & retail products, and for all marketing activities centered around the Hobbs Batting brand, including educating quilters and other creatives on the products Hobbs manufactures.
Stephanie has shared her batting expertise through in-person lectures at most major quilt industry events, including Quilt Market, and she continues to share this knowledge virtually.
Learn more about Hobbs Batting on their website: hobbsbatting.com
Meeting will include:
- 6:30 pm: Sign in early for social time with video and audio on!
- 6:55 pm: Final sign-ins before meeting starts
- 7:00 pm: Short announcements (recording starts, please mute microphones)
- 7:10 pm: 2021 Board Elections conducted using Zoom polling.
The candidates are:
- President: Katie Sprugel
- Vice President: Beth Ratzlaff
- Secretary: Pat Reilly
- Treasurer: Liz Chesebrough
- Director of Membership: Debra Flanagan
- Directors of Programs:
Noelle Remington + Elizabeth Burstad-Morgan
- Directors of Communications:
Julia Wachs + Minnie Lai
- Introduction of our guest presenter,
Stephanie Hackney, Hobbs Batting
- 7:20 – 7:50 pm: Stephanie presents
- 7:50 – 8:00 pm: Q&A with Stephanie
- 8:00 – 8:15 pm: Breakout Rooms for small group socializing (recording pauses)
- 8:15 – 9:00 pm: (recording resumes)
Temperature Quilt presentation by member Carrie Franklin, Announcements, and Sew and Tell
At 8:00 pm, we will use Zoom’s Breakout Rooms feature. All the meeting attendees will be randomly assigned to smaller groups, called Breakout Rooms. You can then turn on your video and audio, and chat real-time with each other for 15 minutes. This is a great opportunity to get to know other guild members, and see what they are sewing! At 8:15 pm you will be brought back into the main meeting for a few announcements and everyone’s favorite, Sew and Tell.
Temperature Quilt Presentation
Our member Carrie Franklin is going to give a short presentation on Temperature Quilts. If you’ve been curious about how to get started, Carrie will share some ideas. Many people like to work on a Temperature Quilt starting in January, so this is a great time to start thinking about your own design.
Sew and Tell
During Sew and Tell, you are welcome to unmute yourself to say a few words about the project you are sharing. Please send images of your recent projects to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SEW AND TELL” in the subject line by 6:00 pm, Monday November 9th to be included in our Zoom meeting Sew and Tell. You can also share your projects using the hashtag #SeattleMQGNovemberMeeting on Instagram.
You’re not a Seattle MQG Member yet? You can join us for the remainder of the year. Membership is reduced to $29.50 if you join July 1st or later. Don’t miss out on our wonderful speakers, join today!
Zoom meeting nuts & bolts
If you haven’t used Zoom before, please create a Free account on Zoom. You don’t need to pay anything to participate in our Zoom membership meeting. When you sign up, the Zoom.us app will download to your computer. If you’ve used Zoom before, then you are all set to go!
- Current members of Seattle Modern Quilt Guild will receive an invitation email from our guild Gmail account on the 1st of the month. Our Zoom meetings are for Seattle MQG members only.
- For security sake, you will be asked to Register for the meeting. Please do so as soon as you get the email invitation.
- Don’t see the invitation email? Please check your junk mail folder.
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. SAVE THIS EMAIL as you will use the link and password to join the meeting.
- On the night of the meeting, please get comfy in front of your computer with internet access.
- Click the link in the Zoom email to join the meeting, and follow the instructions to sign in.
- Sign in at 6:30 pm for social time, or by 6:55 pm at the latest, as we will start the program promptly at 7:00 pm.
- Your camera and microphone will be on! Feel free to mute yourself and/or turn off your camera, especially when we are watching the speaker present.
- You can use a tablet device or smart phone, but it may be harder for you to see/hear unless you are on a larger screen. I recommend using your laptop or desktop computer.
- If you are new to Zoom, please read this short intro to joining a Zoom meeting.
- Previous Zoom users may want to check for updates to the Zoom app: launch the app, then click on the upper-right corner (your photo if you uploaded one) of the Zoom screen, and select “Check for updates” from that menu. Follow instructions to download the latest version.
If you have questions during the meeting, have general comments or just want to cheer someone on, please use the Chat window. We will also have some Polls ready to ask for your participation.
If you have technical issues, first try logging out of Zoom, and then try the email link again (logging back in). Make sure you are using the link for this particular meeting. Double check to see if the volume is turned up on your computer, and no bluetooth audio devices are attached. You will also have the option of calling in via phone to listen to the meeting if your computer is not working (there will be a phone number in the invitation email). If you get completely stuck, the meeting will be recorded and available online for viewing later.
Can’t stay for the whole meeting? That’s OK! Just join us for as long as you are able. You can leave the meeting at any time.
HOLIDAY PARTY: December 5, 2020
In December, instead of a membership meeting we will be celebrating with a virtual holiday party and all-guild sew-in via Zoom! Join us December 5, 2020, 1:30 pm to 5:00 pm. There will be games, activities, time to sew together, and prizes! If you participated in the secret swap, save your wrapped swap item and unwrap it with us live during the holiday party.
We will continue to meet via Zoom into 2021. Thanks, and happy sewing!