Wednesday, January 13 2021, join us via Zoom, with live video and audio! Social time from 6:30 to 7:00 pm, and again for a short time after our presenter speaks. We will be able to see and hear you via your computer’s camera and microphone. (If you prefer not to be seen/heard, please mute both.) Meetings are open to Seattle MQG members only.
Paid Seattle MQG members will get an email on the first of the month with an invite to register for the meeting. Please follow the link and register right away. You will then get a confirmation email from Zoom: save the confirmation email and use it to join us on the meeting date. (If you don’t see either email in your inbox, please check your junk mail folder as they might be there.)
Seattle MQG will continue to meet virtually into 2021 — all meetings going forward will be via Zoom until it is safe to meet in person. We are disappointed that we won’t be meeting in person, but want to prioritize everyone’s health and safety first.
OUR GUEST PRESENTER:
Sara Trail of the Social Justice Sewing Academy
Sara’s talk will be “SJSA: Quilting an Anti-Racist Society”. Her presentation will not be
recorded, so please join us live to hear Sara and have a chance to ask questions!
Meeting will include:
- 6:30 pm: Sign in early for optional socializing with video and audio on!
- 6:55 pm: Final sign-ins before meeting starts
- 7:00 pm: Short announcements (recording starts, please mute microphones)
- 7:10 pm: (recording pauses)
Introduction of our guest presenter, Sara Trail
- 7:15 – 8:15 pm: Sara Trail presents “SJSA: Quilting an Anti-Racist Society”
- 8:15 – 8:30 pm: Q&A with Sara
- 8:30 – 8:45 pm: Breakout Rooms for small group socializing
- 8:45 – 9:15 pm: (recording resumes)
- The Year Ahead – Katie, Noelle, Elizabeth
- Block of the Month Introduction – Katie
- 9:15 – 9:30 pm: Sew and Tell
At 8:30 pm, we will use Zoom’s Breakout Rooms feature. All the meeting attendees will be randomly assigned to smaller groups, called Breakout Rooms. You can then turn on your video and audio, and chat real-time with each other for 15 minutes. This is a great opportunity to get to know other guild members, and see what they are sewing! At 8:45 pm you will be brought back into the main meeting for a few announcements and everyone’s favorite, Sew and Tell.
Block of the Month Introduction
Katie and the Board will introduce the 2021 Block of the Month.
Sew and Tell
During Sew and Tell, you are welcome to unmute yourself to say a few words about the project you are sharing. Please send images of your recent projects to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SEW AND TELL” in the subject line by 6:00 pm, Monday January 11th to be included in our Zoom meeting. We will not be pulling photos from Instagram hashtags this month, so send your photos to the guild email please!
Zoom meeting nuts & bolts
If you haven’t used Zoom before, please create a Free account on Zoom. You don’t need to pay anything to participate in our Zoom membership meeting. When you sign up, the Zoom.us app will download to your computer. If you’ve used Zoom before, then you are all set to go!
- Current members of Seattle Modern Quilt Guild will receive an invitation email from our guild Gmail account on the 1st of the month. Our Zoom meetings are for Seattle MQG members only.
- For security sake, you will be asked to Register for the meeting. Please do so as soon as you get the email invitation.
- Don’t see the invitation email? Please check your junk mail folder.
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. SAVE THIS EMAIL as you will use the link and password to join the meeting.
- On Wednesday, January 13th, please get comfy in front of your computer with internet access.
- Click the link in the Zoom email to join the meeting, and follow the instructions to sign in.
- Sign in at 6:30 pm for social time, or by 6:55 pm at the latest, as we will start the program promptly at 7:00 pm.
- Your camera and microphone will be on! Feel free to mute yourself and/or turn off your camera, especially when we are watching the speaker present.
- You can use a tablet device or smart phone, but it may be harder for you to see/hear unless you are on a larger screen. I recommend using your laptop or desktop computer.
- If you are new to Zoom, please read this short intro to joining a Zoom meeting.
- Previous Zoom users may want to check for updates to the Zoom app: launch the app, then click on the upper-right corner (your photo if you uploaded one) of the Zoom screen, and select “Check for updates” from that menu. Follow instructions to download the latest version.
If you have questions during the meeting, have general comments or just want to cheer someone on, please use the Chat window. We will also have some Polls ready to ask for your participation.
If you have technical issues, first try logging out of Zoom, and then try the email link again (logging back in). Make sure you are using the link for this particular meeting. Double check to see if the volume is turned up on your computer, and no bluetooth audio devices are attached. You will also have the option of calling in via phone to listen to the meeting if your computer is not working (there will be a phone number in the invitation email). If you get completely stuck, the meeting will be recorded and available online for viewing later.
Can’t stay for the whole meeting? That’s OK! Just join us for as long as you are able. You can leave the meeting at any time.