Wednesday, July 14, 2021, join us via Zoom, with live video and audio! Social time from 6:30 to 7:00 pm, and again after the meeting. We will be able to see and hear you via your computer’s camera and microphone. (If you prefer not to be seen/heard, please mute both). Meetings are open to Seattle MQG members only.
Current Seattle MQG members received an email on July 1 with an invitation to register for both meetings. Please follow the links and register right away. You will then get a confirmation email from Zoom: save the confirmation email and use it to join us on July 14. (If you don’t see the email in your inbox, please check your junk mail folder as it might be there).
OUR GUEST PRESENTER:
Amy Friend (@duringquiettime): “Improv Paper Piecing”
Amy is a former museum curator, now turned designer. She designs modern quilts and specializes in foundation paper pieced designs. She is the author of three books (Intentional Piecing, Improv Paper Piecing, and Petal + Stem). She will present a trunk show in which she uses her quilts to illustrate how she approaches paper pieced design improvisationally to create unique, modern quilts.
Meeting Schedule, Wednesday, July 14:
- 6:30 pm: Sign in early for social time with video and audio on. We will use breakout rooms to enable smaller group conversations this month during the pre-meeting social time this month.
- 6:55 pm: Breakout rooms will close
- 7:00 pm: Short announcements
- 7:10 pm: Introduction of our guest speaker
- 7:10-8:10 pm: Amy Friend, “Improv Paper Piecing” (This talk will not be recorded)
- 8:15-8:45 pm: Announcements, Salsa BOM
- 8:45-9:15 pm: Sew and Tell
- 9:15-9:45 pm: Breakout rooms for socializing
We will open breakout rooms before and after the meeting. All the meeting attendees will be randomly assigned to smaller groups of 6-9 people. You can then turn on your video and audio, and chat real-time with each other. At 7:00 pm you will be brought back into the main Zoom room for the start of the meeting. After the meeting, anyone who wishes to stay and chat can do so in breakout rooms that will be set up after the end of the meeting.
Block of the Month
Katie will introduce the Month 7 prompt for the Salsa Medallion BOM – Curves.
Sew and Tell
During Sew and Tell, you are welcome to unmute yourself to say a few words about the project you are sharing. Please send images of your recent projects to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SEW AND TELL” in the subject line by 8:00 pm Monday, July 12 to be included in our Zoom meeting Sew and Tell. It helps Katie prepare the slides if you also include a bit of information about the quilt in your email (Ideas: quilt name, pattern designer [if applicable], approximate size, quilt story/inspiration [if applicable]).
Zoom meeting nuts & bolts
If you haven’t used Zoom before, please create a Free account on Zoom. You don’t need to pay anything to participate in our Zoom membership meeting. When you sign up, the Zoom.us app will download to your computer. If you’ve used Zoom before, then you are all set to go!
- Current members of Seattle Modern Quilt Guild will receive an invitation email from our guild Gmail account on the 1st of the month. Our Zoom meetings are for Seattle MQG members only.
- For security sake, you will be asked to Register for the meeting. Please do so as soon as you get the email invitation.
- Don’t see the invitation email? Please check your junk mail folder.
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. SAVE THIS EMAIL as you will use the link and password to join the meeting.
- On the night of the meeting, please get comfy in front of your computer with internet access.
- Click the link in the Zoom email to join the meeting, and follow the instructions to sign in.
- Sign in at 6:30 pm for social time, or by 6:55 pm at the latest, as we will start the program promptly at 7:00 pm.
- Your camera and microphone will be on! Feel free to mute yourself and/or turn off your camera, especially when we are watching the speaker present.
- You can use a tablet device or smart phone, but it may be harder for you to see/hear unless you are on a larger screen. I recommend using your laptop or desktop computer.
- If you are new to Zoom, please read this short intro to joining a Zoom meeting.
- Previous Zoom users may want to check for updates to the Zoom app: launch the app, then click on the upper-right corner (your photo if you uploaded one) of the Zoom screen, and select “Check for updates” from that menu. Follow instructions to download the latest version.
If you have questions during the meeting, have general comments or just want to cheer someone on, please use the Chat window. We will also have some Polls ready to ask for your participation.
If you have technical issues, first try logging out of Zoom, and then try the email link again (logging back in). Make sure you are using the link for this particular meeting. Double check to see if the volume is turned up on your computer, and no bluetooth audio devices are attached. You will also have the option of calling in via phone to listen to the meeting if your computer is not working (there will be a phone number in the invitation email). If you get completely stuck, the meeting will be recorded and available online for viewing later.
Can’t stay for the whole meeting? That’s OK! Just join us for as long as you are able. You can leave the meeting at any time.