The Seattle Modern Quilt Guild is a group of modern quilters who love to sew together. We have been part of the national organization, The Modern Quilt Guild since 2010 and were formalized as a non-profit organization in 2013.
Although we meet in Seattle, our members come from a large geographical area, ranging from Everett to Tukwila and from West Seattle to Carnation.
Many of our members attend our monthly meetings and participate in our many events; other members keep in touch online and only attend in person once or twice a year.
Some of our activities include:
- Meetings – Meetings are held the second Wednesday evening of each month at the Greenwood Senior Center. We provide a variety of content throughout the year, including Speakers; Fabric Swaps; Demos (of different techniques); Trunk Shows, and more. Each meeting includes Sew-and-Tell for members to share finished quilts.
- Holiday Sew-in Party – Instead of a December meeting, we gather on the first Saturday in December for a day of sewing fun.
- Sew-ins – Guild sew-ins are a chance to gather with other members and sew together. We have several sew-ins scheduled each year in our large meeting space in Seattle. Since our members are spread throughout the Puget Sound region, we also encourage them to arrange smaller, local sew-ins for groups to gather in libraries and shops.
- Workshops – We typically offer four to eight workshops a year, bringing nationally known instructors, as well as local talent, to teach classes in a variety of quilting techniques.
- Retreats – We have two kinds of retreats: Weekend Retreats provide a full getaway; and Day Retreats offer lower cost options and greater flexibility.
- Charity Quilting – Our Giving Committee provides challenges several times a year in which members contribute blocks that are then combined to make multiple quilts, depending on participation levels. We contribute quilts to several different charities.
- Block of the Month – Our guild takes the traditional idea of a Block of the Month challenge and creates a new design each year. Past BOMs have included “slab” improvisational quilting, appliqué piecing of an abstract design, Quilt As You Go based on an aeronautical theme, and most recently, a medallion-style mystery quilt.
- Swaps and Challenges – We offer two to three swap or challenge opportunities a year, switching up the format so that there’s something for everybody!
- Exhibits and Quilt Shows – Although we don’t hold our own quilt show, our members have many opportunities to enter their quilts at regional shows in the area. We also display members’ quilts at Seattle’s Folklife Festival each year.
To learn more about becoming a member, click on the Membership tab in the menu bar above.