Island Quilter has invited us to exhibit in their gallery during January 2 – February 5, 2015. Since 2015 will be our fifth anniversary as a Modern Quilt Guild, we are celebrating what modern means to us with My MODERN.
As a group we have been learning about and exploring Modern quilt aesthetics. My MODERN is the best of our work showing one or more modern quilt attributes:
- Use of bold colors and prints
- High contrast and graphic areas of solid color
- Improvisational piecing
- Expansive negative space
- Alternate grid work
- Modern traditionalism
Need more information on these attributes? Jacquie Gering did a webinar, Modern Quilting: Know It When You See It, which discusses modern quilt characteristics. As an Seattle MQG member, you have access to all the archived webinars on the resources area of the MQG site (another bene of membership!)
Now, on to the details of what you need to do to submit a modern quilt of your own for this exhibit:
- Quilt does not have to be created solely for this exhibit but should not have been exhibited at our previous Island Quilt shows. Quilts shown at Quilt! Knit! Stitch! or Northwest Quilting Expo may be shown
- Quilts entered for consideration for QuiltCon may not be entered
- Quilts of all sizes are welcome
- Quilts must be labeled with the quilt name, quilter’s name, quilter’s email or phone number
- Quilts must have a securely attached hanging sleeve (Jacquie Gering’s excellent tutorial shows you how)
- Submit your quilt in a bag labeled with your name, email address or phone number
- One entry per member.
- Entrant must be a current member of the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild as of December 13, 2014
- Quilt must entered on-line using the form below by December 7, 2014 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time
- Quilts are due at 2:00 pm on December 13, 2014 SEAMQG Holiday Party
- Quilts will be returned at the February 11, 2015 SEAMQG meeting
Ready to show your quilt? Enter it using the link posted in the Seattle MQG Group within the Modern Quilt Guild (login required).