Wednesday, May 13, 2020, we will meet virtually again via Zoom!
If you haven’t used Zoom before, please create a Free account on Zoom. You don’t need to pay anything to participate in our Zoom membership meeting. When you sign up, the Zoom.us app will download to your computer. If you’ve used Zoom before, then you are all set to go!
Join our Zoom membership meeting!
- Current members of Seattle Modern Quilt Guild will receive an invitation email from Zoom.
- Not a member yet, but would like to do a virtual visit to our guild? Please send an email to email@example.com and request an invitation to the meeting. You can attend 2 meetings as a guest before we ask you to join.
- For security sake, you will be asked to Register for the meeting. Please do so as soon as you get the email invitation.
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. Save the email as you will use the link and password to join the meeting.
- On Wednesday, May 13th, please get comfy in front of your computer with internet access a few minutes before 7:00 pm.
- Click the link in the Zoom email to join the meeting, and follow the instructions to sign in.
- We hope to start promptly at 7:00 pm. Sign in a few minutes early, so you don’t miss anything.
- You can use a tablet device or smart phone, but it may be harder for you to see/hear unless you are on a larger screen. I recommend using your laptop or desktop computer.
- If you are new to Zoom, we recommend you read this short intro to joining a Zoom webinar.
You will be able to see and hear the meeting, but we won’t be able to see/hear you. You can participate, however, by using the Chat and Q&A windows. These can be opened from the bottom of the Zoom screen, look for these icons:
You will also want to set the Chat to “all panelists and attendees” so everyone can see your comments. Look for the blue tab at the bottom of the Chat window:
I will give a quick intro at the beginning of the meeting, and ask you to introduce yourselves by typing into the Chat window.
If you have questions during the meeting, please type them into the Q&A sidebar. I will also have a couple of Polls ready to ask for your participation.
If you have technical issues, first try logging out of Zoom, and then try the email link again (logging back in). Double check to see if the volume is turned up on your computer. You will also have the option of calling in via phone to listen to the meeting if your computer is not working (there will be a phone number in the invitation email). If you get completely stuck, I will record the meeting and will post it online for viewing later.
Meeting will include:
- The new Scrappy Gift Swap will go live 05.07.2020 with a blog post and email. This a perfect maker-driven opportunity to use what you have and make a small item to swap! We will talk more about the Scrappy Gift Swap during our meeting and answer any questions you might have.
- Special guest Tawnee Kinnebrew of Wyldwood Creative will give us a virtual tour of her Renton shop.
- SMQG member Jana Royal of Reverie Quilting will join us to talk about long arm quilting, and her tips for working with a long-armer.
- Announcement of Zoom Virtual Sew-Ins, and how to sign up!
- Cascadia Cabin in the Woods BOM review
- 2021 QuiltCon Community Outreach Quilt Challenge is just gearing up, and we need your ideas for a design!
- And of course, everyone’s favorite: Virtual Sew and Tell (see below)
- And more!
Virtual Sew and Tell: #SMQGMayMeeting
You’ve been stitching away, and we want to see what you’re making! Please use the hashtag #SMQGMayMeeting on Instagram, and we will pull up the tagged images during Virtual Sew and Tell. If you haven’t posted your new work on Instagram, you may email your photos with a short description (include size, and any meaningful background info) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6:00 pm, Tuesday May 12th to be included in our Zoom meeting Sew and Tell.
NEXT GENERAL MEETING: June 10, 2020
Plan on meeting via Zoom for our June meeting. We will let you know as soon as we are able to return to Greenwood Senior Center for our meetings. Thanks, and happy sewing!