These meetings were held via Zoom. The October meeting had 91 attendees and the November meeting had 70 attendees.
Call to order – David
NOTICE: Virtual Holiday Party Saturday, December 5, 2020 1:30 – 5:00 pm
- Online event via Zoom, organized by Jana Royal and Alexandra Immel
- All guild members participate
- Use breakout rooms for fun games/activities
- Includes Secret Swap organized by Megan Vanderburg & Jackie Benedetti
- Items must be mailed by November 25 and will be opened at the party on December 5
- Post your progress, but be secretive: #SeaMQGSecretSwap2020
It’s time to renew memberships for 2021.
- Access the form from the recent blog post, or from the Membership tab
- Dues remain $57 for one year (PayPal processing fee included)
- Renewal deadline: December 31, 2020 to join us for the January meeting
- As of the November meeting our local guild chapter has 211 active members!
2020 Block of the Month
- Susan (@sushifarmer) and Kathy (@a_swede_life) are designing and coordinating a row-by-row quilt called “Cascadia Cabin in the Woods.” The pattern is suitable for a wide range of skill levels.
- FINAL instructions are on the blog. Note that the monthly instructions will be available on the blog in perpetuity, as with all our BOMs.
- Tag your progress #cascadiacabinquilt #SEAMQG #Showusyourmqg
2021 Block of the Month
We need you! The board has a few ideas for 2021 but welcomes your creativity!
One idea: small quilt teams, working on a theme.
It’s time to start planning. Reach out to any board member to volunteer.
The Giving Committee has completed the quilt top for the “Community Outreach Quilt” for Quiltcon. The quilt was designed by David Owen Hastings, our guild president. Guild member Pam Cole will be quilting it. The timeline is:
- January 15th, 2021: submission is due (with photos of the finished quilt)
- February 18-22, 2021: QuiltCon
The Improv New York Beauty quilts are complete and one of them is still in need of a quilter. If you are able to help with that please get in touch with Matt or Rachel. Jana Royal has kindly offered to quilt one of them.
NATIONAL: #MQGKeepCalmandSewOn Follow and see what other MQGers are sewing
LOCAL: #SeattleMQGSewAtHome Keep using to connect with our guild members
Guild Blog & Info
- Meetings will be held on ZOOM through the end of the calendar year
- ZOOM meetings will only be open to paid SEAMQG members
- On the blog:
- Meeting announcements, recordings and notes
- Block of the Month
- Workshops & Event Info
- Giving Quilts
- Membership Info
Find a Guild Long-Armer
A list of long-arm quilters who are members of our guild is now on the guild website under Resources. Longarmers, send our president, David, your contact information to be included. We want to have everyone on the list. Guild Longarmers
2020 Guild Sew-ins
- Virtual Sew-ins
- Latest round runs through mid-December
Guild Board Elections
- Maggie Grate and an anonymous member served as the Nominating Committee
- Elections were held at the November meeting and the following slate was voted in
- President – Katie Sprugel
- Vice President – Beth Ratzlaff
- Secretary – Pat Reilly
- Treasurer – Liz Chesebrough
- Membership Director – Debra Flanagan
- Program Co-Directors – Noelle Remington and Elizabeth Burstad – Morgan
- Communications Co-Directors – Julia Wachs and Minnie Lai
- KAE is willing to deliver books at a set time/meeting point
- Seattle and Eastside locations
- The book list is on our website
- Email KAE at email@example.com to reserve a book and arrange a pickup
The Board reviewed and updated the Guild Bylaws. At the October meeting, the changes were approved by a vote of the membership. A brief description of each change follows:
- Sec 5.05 Voting – Changed to allow voting via electronic polling – Approved by 100% of the members present
- Article V – Reordered subsections to improve logic and flow of the document – Approved by 100% of the members present
- Section 6.04 – Adapted board roles of Vice President, Program Director, Membership Director and Communications Director to better suit our current operating model. Assigned Vice President to take over for President if required. – Approved by 100% of the members present
- Section 7.05 – Relocate text regarding standing procedures from Section 8.01 – Approved by 100% of the members present
- Section 7.06 – Reduce number of mandatory board meetings from 10 per year to 6 per year – Approved by 95% of the members present
- Article VIII, IX and X – some content moved to other sections to improve logic and flow of document – Approved by 100% of membership
Guest Speakers at Meetings
- Jaquie Gering gave a talk about her quilting and philosophy at the October guild meeting. www.JaquieGering.com
- At the November meeting, Stephanie Hackney of Hobbs Bonded Fibers @hobbsbatting spoke about the company’s products and which batting is best suited for which use/type of quilt.
- Also at the November meeting, local guild member Carrie Franklin @carrie_ellens gave a talk and show on temperature quilts and how she approached creating her own.
- Speaker at the January 13 meeting: Sara Trail of the Social Justice Sewing Academy
- The Social Justice Sewing Academy (SJSA) is a youth education program founded in 2017; it aims to bridge artistic expression using textile media with activism to advocate for social justice.
- Join Sara Trail in this inspiring talk as she shares how youth use quilting as a platform of personal expression through the Social Justice Sewing Academy.
- Sjsacademy.org or @sjsacademy
- At the February 10th meeting, Carol Lyles Shaw will be speaking.
- Quilt designer, workshop teacher, author
- Carolelylesshaw.com; @carole_lylesshaw
For all events please follow up with the venues or the presenters to make sure they are still taking place.
- Remember to shop at our local quilt shops! They need our support.
- Sell online with curbside pickup or shipping, or in-store with restrictions
- Many having sales and specials
- Quiltcon 2021, called “QuiltconTogether” will be held virtually
- Registration for workshops and lectures is underway
- Quilt show submissions open Sept 1 and close Nov 30
- Go to https://www.quiltcon.com
- The quilt giveaway this year is designed and made by Seattle MQG members Stephanie Satterwhite and Matt Macomber
- Community Outreach Quilt Challenge theme will be “curves.” For info
- There is a new webinar on the MQG site on “Taking Quality Photos for Quilt Show Entry.” There is a video and a pdf of the slideshow there.
- Support the NBAF (National Black Arts) and the Social Justice Sewing Academy with the new Better Together t-shirt: Order here
National MQG Website
- Join the Seattle MQG Circle – This is where meeting minutes are posted as well as on the blog
- Instructions how to access the Circle are on the blog under “Membership”
- Print membership cards from the Circle
- Membership directory is posted there (please do not share with others)
- For instructions on how to access the circle go to our local guild’s blog: https://seattlemodernquiltguild.com/membership/joining-the-seattle-mqg-circle
- Check out the monthly content from the MQG – Block Study, Quilt of the Month, Webinars
- Watch Textile Talk webinar Reflecting on Modern: A Retrospective Chat about QuiltCon Winners
- Winners from previous Quiltcon shows
- Discussion about modern quilting and what makes these quilts modern
- Find episodes of Fresh Quilting and recorded webinars (Resources section)
- Watch for the latest Modern Monthly for webinar offerings, quilt patterns and other resources
- Upload photos of guild events and quilts for possible use on the guild facebook and instagram pages
Sew & Tell
- Guild members shared their finished projects via images presented on Zoom. Watch Facebook and Instagram for photos.
- Tag your work using #SeattleMQGJanuary21 on Instagram to have it included in Sew &Tell. (Note change in format of the hashtag. We will use this ongoing, changing month and year as needed.)
- Send Sew & Tell photos and stories anytime to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Next regular guild meeting will be Wednesday January 13 @ 7:00pm via Zoom. Information to sign up and get the zoom link will be sent out closer to the date.
- Holiday Party December 5 @ 1:30-5pm via Zoom